Jay Patel MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Surgeon
2012 - Present
Orthopaedic Specialty Institute
Orthopaedic Surgeon – Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
Hoag Orthopaedic Institute, Irvine, California
St. Josephs Hospital, Orange, California
Harvard College (1996-2000)
B.A. summa cum laude in Biochemical Sciences
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford University Department of Mechanical Engineering
M.S. In Biomechanical Engineering
University of California, Irvine; Department of Orthopaedic Surgery (2006 - 2011)
Hospital for Special Surgery – New York, NY (2011 - 2012)
Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Surgery
- Patel J and Bozic KJ, "Preoperative Planning and Templating for Revision Hip Arthroplasty" in Surgery of the Hip, Editors: Daniel J. Berry MD and Jay R. Lieberman MD. (in press)
- Patel J and Bozic KJ, "Degenerative Hip Disease" in Musculoskeletal Radiology, Lippincotts. Editor John Cherf MD. (in press)
- Patel J, Ries MD, Bozic KJ. "Extensor Mechanism Complications after Total Knee Arthroplasty" In Instructional Course Lectures, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2008. Vol 57, Section 5, 283-294.
- Patel J and Bozic K. "Computer navigated joint replacement surgery" Future Rheumatology. 2008.3(4): 329-333.
- Bozic KJ and Patel J. "Total hip replacement surgery" Google KNOL invited article. 2008. http://knol.google.com
- Patel J and Bozic KJ. "Early complications after total hip replacement" US Musculoskeletal Review. Volume 4. Issue 1.
- Patel J and Bozic KJ. "Early complications after total hip replacement" European Musculoskeletal Review. Volume 4. Issue 1.
- Beringer DC, Patel J, Bozic KJ. "An overview of economic issues in computer-assisted total joint arthroplasty" Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2007. 463: 26-30.
- Siston R, Goodman S, Patel J, Delp S, Giori N. "The high variability of tibial rotational alignment in total knee arthroplasty" Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2006. 452: 65-69.
- Siston R, Patel J., Goodman S, Delp S, Giori N. "The variability of femoral rotational alignment in total knee arthroplasty" Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2005. 87(10): 2276-80.
Publications In Progress
- Patel J, Pan T, Do H, Marx R, Bozic K, Padgett D, Lyman S, "Patient Travel Distances for Total Hip Arthroplasty"
- Patel J, Pan T, Do H, Marx R, Bozic K, Padgett D, Lyman S, "Patient Travel Distances for Total Knee Arthroplasty"
- Patel J, Barnett S, and Gorab R, "Lateral Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty through a Limited Lateral Approach"
- Patel J and Jamali A, "Femoroacetabular Impingement: Current Concepts in Diagnosis and Treatment"
- Retrieval of porous tantalum coated acetabular components: evaluation of bone ingrowth using scanning electron microscopy. Advisors: Douglas Padgett MD, Timothy Wright PhD, Mathias Bostrom MD
- Patient travel distances for total joint replacement. Hospital for Special Surgery. Advisors: Stephen Lyman PhD, Kevin Bozic MD, Douglas Padgett MD
- Lateral unicompartmental knee arthroplasty through a limited lateral approach. UC Irvine Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Advisors: Robert Gorab MD, Steven Barnett MD
- The variability of femoral and tibial component rotation in total knee arthroplasty. Stanford Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Department of Mechanical Engineering. Advisors: Nicholas Giori MD PhD, Stuart Goodman MD PhD, Scott Delp PhD
- Development of a novel device for calcium phosphate cement delivery. Stanford Department of Mechanical Engineering and Skeletal Kinetics. Advisors: Duran Yetkinler MD, Brett Constanz PhD
- A novel method and device for anterior elbow capsule retraction for elbow arthroscopy. Stanford Department of Mechanical Engineering. Patent Pending. Advisor: Nicholas Giori MD PhD
- Binding of the KIX domain of CREP to CBP/p300. Harvard Department of Biochemistry. Advisor: Stephen Harrison PhD
- Patel J, Pan T, Do H, Marx R, Bozic K, Padgett D, Lyman S, "Patient Travel Distances for Total Joint Arthroplasty" Hospital for Special Surgery Fellows Research Symposium 2012. Podium and Poster Presentation
- Siston R, Goodman S, Patel J, Delp S, Giori N. "The high variability of tibial rotational alignment in total knee arthroplasty" AAOS Annual Meeting 2006. Poster presentation.
- Siston R, Patel J, Goodman S, Delp S, Giori N. "The variability of rotational alignment in total knee arthroplasty" Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting, February 2005. Poster presentation.
- Compton S, Harfe D, Miller D, Patel J. "A novel device for stent placement in ostial lesions" Stanford University Biodesign Symposium. March 3, 2002.
- Cruzan J, Patel J, and Harrison S. "Binding of the KIX domain of CREP to CBP/p300" NIH Co-Activators and Co-repressors in Gene Expression. 1999.
- Skeletal Kinetics, Engineering Consultant (January 2004-June 2004)
- Stanford Biodesign Innovation Program (September 2001-August 2002)
- McKinsey & Company Silicon Valley Office, Business Analyst (August 2000-August 2001)
- Harvard Department of Biochemistry, Undergraduate Research (March 1997-October 1999)
- MIT Department of Chemical Engineering, NSF Undergraduate Research
(June 1997-September 1997)
- Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Scholarship
- Stanford Medical Scholars Research Grant
- John Harvard Scholarship
- Phi Beta Kappa
- National Science Foundation – Research Experience for Undergraduates Grant
- Detur prize (top 5% of Harvard freshman class)
- Harvard Book Prize
- Chevron Merit Award
- Valedictorian – Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, California